top of page

Planning & Zoning

Land Use Permits Required - Please contact the Planning and Zoning office before beginning any construction or improvement projects !

Land use permits are required for most exterior projects within city limits. All new and replacement structures including dwellings and accessory structures, all expansions to existing structures, fabric structures (hoop buildings), stairways, and dirt moving (grading)/shoreline alterations require a permit. Often times property owners (and sometimes contractors) assume Crow Wing County’s land use ordinance applies to their property located in city limits which is not accurate. The city has it’s own land use ordinance available online along with permit application forms. If you have any questions regarding ordinance provisions or permitting requirements for property located in the City of Emily please contact  Kayode Adiatu at 507-469-5316 or

Planning & Zoning Office Hours

Monday - Wednesday


Friday - Sunday

8:00 - 4:30

8:00 - 12:00


Administrator Office Hours


Closed all other days

*Afternoon hours are only open the first Tuesday of each month due to the Planning Commission meeting

9:00 - 3:00


Planning & Zoning Administrator

Profile Picture_edited_edited.jpg

Kayode Adiatu
(507) 469-5316

Zoning Clerk

Sue Fahrendorff
(218) 763-2480
Fax: (218) 763-2481


David Johnson

Present Term: 1/2024 - 12/2027

Vice Chair

Patrick Rheaume

Present Term: 1/2023 - 12/2025

Commission Members

Lynn Bartel

Present Term: 2/2023 - 12/2026

Denise Vukelich

Present Term: 1/2024 - 12/2027

Planning Commission


Mark Mosman

Present Term: 12/13/2023 -12/2025

Faye Hughes-Alternate

Present Term: 4/2023 - 12/2026

Application for Commissions and Committees


Do I Need a Permit For . . .

Note that this list is not all inclusive.  Please contact the Planning & Zoning office if you have permit questions !

  • Septic System? Yes. Please contact Planning & Zoning

  • Camper/RV? Yes, if longer than 14 days. Please contact Planning & Zoning.

  • Repairing or grading an ice ridge?  Yes.  Please contact Planning & Zoning.

  • Reroofing a house?  No, if strictly replacing the roofing material.  Yes, if the structure of the roof is changed, such as the trusses or the pitch. 

  • Solar Panels? Yes. Please contact Planning & Zoning

  • Fence?  Yes.  Please contact Planning & Zoning.

  • Sign?  Yes.  Please contact Planning & Zoning.

  • Short or Long Term Rental Property?  License is required.  Please contact Planning & Zoning for more information.

  • Sidewalk? No

  • Patio? Yes.  Please contact Planning & Zoning.

  • Fire Ring Only?  No 

  • Road Approach?  No Permit, however you need to  contact City Maintenance Personnel prior to start of project.

  • Driveway? Possibly. Please contact Planning & Zoning

  • Driveway in Shoreland District?  Please contact Planning & Zoning.  

  • Maintenance or Replacement of Siding, Windows, Doors?  No.

  • Addition of a Room?  Yes, if changing the footprint of the house. 

  • Interior Remodeling? No

  • Maintenance of a Deck?  No, if only replacing floorboards.  Yes, if the posts/footings are replaced or the footprint of the deck changes. 

  • Accessory Structures such as Sheds, Pole Barns, Decks, Garages, Porches, Hoop Fabric Sheds, etc.?  Yes.  Please contact Planning & Zoning.  The fee is based on the square footage. 

  • Accessory Structures without Primary Dwelling?  Septic Site Suitability Design is required.  Please Contact Planning & Zoning

  • Structures in Lake Setbacks? No structures allowed.

  • Well? No city permit required.  Well installers will be required to get a permit from the State of MN.

Minimum dimensions for a dwelling are 576 square feet and 20 feet wide.  The dwelling must be on a foundation.

Building permits allow one year to start the project and two years to finish the project.

Septic Permits expire after one year.

Permits may be extended beyond the expiration date upon written request and approval from the Zoning Administrator.  Please submit your written request via email to

In the City of Emily you are allowed to repair or grade an ice ridge with proper permitting if the ice ridge occurred in the past year.  A land use permit is required to grade in the shoreland area.  The permitting is required so that we can evaluate the current conditions of the property.  Please contact the Zoning Office with specific questions.

Permit Applications and Documents

Land Use Permit Application


SSTS Permit Application


Lot Split/Subdivision/Rezoning Application


Permitting FAQs


Home Occupation Permit Application


Interim Use Permit Application


Conditional Use Permit Application


Variance Application


Outdoor Market Permit Application


Planning Commission Meetings

Click on a title under the date to view our planning commission meeting videos and documents.


May 7, 2023
Planning Commission Video

April 2, 2024-Cancelled
Lack of Business

March 6, 2024

Planning Commission Video

February 6, 2024
Planning Commission Video

January 2, 2024 & December 5, 2023
Meeting Cancelled due to
lack of agenda items.

November 8, 2023
Appendix A Matrix

Planning Commission Video

October 3, 2023

Appendix A Matrix
Planning Commission Video


Meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers.

Meetings will be broadcast on Channel 1 one week after the meeting, for two weeks on Wednesdays at 12:00 p.m. and 7:00PM.

You may attend meetings via zoom - the zoom link and password required can be found on our Calendar & Events page, on the dates of our meetings. Find the date for the next meeting and click on it to access the link and password.

Other Planning & Zoning Documents and Information

Emily Zoning Map (2017)


City of Emily Comprehensive Plan (2022)


State Licensed Septic System Professional List


Crow Wing County GIS Map

bottom of page